Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Snowy, Rainy Day for a Run (on the treadmill)

Well, today is one of the first times in a month that there's actually been weather outside. I debated running in the light snow showers, but already had my ipad in hand on route to the clubhouse treadmill. I juggled to fit the ipad in the right and left drink/key/book insets on the treadmill before realizing that it had a narrow ledge across the front panel, perfect for my little tv. I downloaded an episode of parks and recreation from my netflix app, but my earphones apparently aren't compatible with ipad (damn you, macintosh and your conspiracy to make us buy and use the otherwise dreadful and ear-destroying earbuds.)

So, I attempted to listen using the ipad volume, but the sound of my breathing and the middle-aged sweaty work-out wannabe dude wearing a headband and a bicep-exposing 1980's tanktop distracted me hardcore. On my nike+ipod, I had set it for a 5k to account for pre-running walking, but I think I'm now convinced that the nike device doesn't really do well with treadmill running, maybe because it can't count the steps as effectively and has difficulty with inclines. Whatever the reason, the treadmill always leaves me feeling happier than nike.

Overall, I went 1.12 (treadmill/ 0.75 mi on nike). I could have kept going but I accidentally pushed the huge red emergency stop button they conveniently place directly in the way of primary arm swinging motions when running. Good job, treadmill makers.

2/10 runs completed (deadline is February 12).

Also, if you have an nike+ipod running combo and wanna compete with me in this running adventure, let me know and I'll set up a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment