Chronic Appendicitis: On top of the crazy knee issues last May, I started having sharp pains in my lower right abdomen, enough to make me sick several nights. So I took my crazy-limited graduate health insurance to the school's health center and got all kinds of tests done, including one that involved taking stool samples (gross). I also had an upper and lower sonogram (if you know what I mean) with inconclusive results. Because the pain wasn't there ALL the time, and because nothing showed up on the baby-screen, they figuratively threw their arms up in the air and gave up on me, telling me to come back if it got worse somehow. But that didn't happen, the pain subsided, and hasn't been back since. However, during this time period my running suffered. I was unable to do both the Lake Tahoe Relay run and the Odyssey run as a backup. So that made me sad.
Seattle Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon: After a long 12 hour, very rural drive from Reno to Seattle, we made it to Sandy's mom's house. Two days later, we were out running the crazy hill-tastic course (seriously, we're talking San Fran streets). The course was pretty amazing, and we got to run on closed interstate 405, around a lake, and through the streets of downtown. But I wasn't as trained as I would have liked to be, and I also think the increase in moisture and pressure screwed with my breathing, so the race ended up being about 2:45 with some walking with Sandra at the end.
During the summer, I think I also started putting way too much pressure on myself to somehow beat my first (and personal best) half marathon (the Reno one in April), so I worked myself into a non-sleeping, stomach-churning anxiety frenzy before this race, and even moreso before the VA Beach run.

My Grandmother passed away in late July, so that further added stress and hampered my training, but I decided to run the marathon for her. I raised about $1000 for the Leukemea and Lymphoma Cancer Society sponsoring the event, thanks to family and friends.
Virginia Beach Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon: In August, we flew to Virginia Beach. I stayed with my Mom and Grandpa, and became super sick with a migraine and cramps (probably a mixture of stress, insomnia, dehydration, and putemus). So, I sat this one out. And although at the time it was probably the best decision for me, I hated not running. (I have the bib with a black X through it posted on my wall for future reference).
Sandra could tell I was putting way too much pressure on myself, and signed up for the Lake Tahoe Half Marathon, a ridiculous but beautiful mountainous course up at Tahoe in September.
October brought the big one.
The Nike Women's Marathon: Luck was with us

We took a break from running after that to basically heal. Our friend Dianna and her boyfriend signed up for a Halloween Trick-or-Treat 5k here in Reno with costumes, so we went as two inmates...super fun. I beat my PR for the 5k, finishing just under 30 min.
And then with finals and end-of-the-year transitions and holidays, 2011 was over. (The year review is next.)
Yay for a new post!!! This was awesome and I had so much fun reading it!! Felt like I was running with you!!! I'm so proud of you! Love youuuuu!
ReplyDelete